If you are a pregnant woman who is experiencing sleepless nights due to discomfort in bed, the additional information and infographic below may help you sleep a little easier during your pregnancy.
Pregnancy is one of the most treasured moments in every woman’s life. However, it doesn’t come without its challenges. As the pregnancy period progresses, the tummy grows bigger and comfortable sleep becomes a problem. An optimal maternity pillow is the ultimate solution to ensure you receive quality sleep. It is also a great investment for your spouse, since you won’t have to keep them awake with lots of tossing and turning. Below are a few different types of pregnancy pillow that can be found on the market:
Pregnancy wedge pillow
This type of pillow is a wedge that slides beneath your tummy or back to offer comfort and support throughout the night. The pregnancy pillow is usually cheaply available, and most mothers prefer it because it’s still useful after birth like a regular pillow. It can get used in several positions:
- Under the tummy – provides tummy support and prevents the weight from straining the hips and back.
- Behind the back – enables you to sleep on your side and prevents tossing and turning.
- Under the regular pillow- provides head elevation and relieves pregnancy reflux and heartburn.
The wedge pillow can either be round or triangular depending on the mother’s preference. It also has a small size hence it is ideal for traveling. However, when used on the tummy or back, you require a separate pillow for your headrest due to the wedge’s small size.
Total body pillows
These pillows wrap around the outer part of the pregnant body providing excellent support. The pillows hug you both at the front and the back, thus preventing back pains. Total body pillows come in two styles:
- C-Shaped pregnancy pillows. This type of pillow resembles the letter C and gets built for use in a riding position. The bottom end of the C gets saddled between your legs while the top-end serves as the headrest. The back of your body conforms to the curve of the C, thus helping reduce the pressure applied to the spine.
- U-shaped body pillow. As the name suggests, it resembles the letter U. It is designed to get you straddled in between such that it supports your back and the tummy. The pillow is suitable for women who enjoy sleeping on their backs but get restrained by the large belly. The U shaped pillow also offers support for legs and the head, where the base of the U shape acts as the headrest.
However, these combined C and U-shaped pillows have their advantages and disadvantages:
- Both are the most supportive baby pillows.
- You do not require a separate head pillow.
- Both are big and bulky hence they are preferable for traveling.
- They are the most costly type of pregnancy pillows.
Sleeping through the night during pregnancy can be challenging. However, armed with the knowledge from the below infographic, and a comfortable maternity pillow, it is hoped that you will soon be enjoying an optimal sleep during your pregnancy.
This graphic is from http://www.pregnancypillows.org