Vertigo and Dizziness After Wisdom Teeth Removal

One of the rare complications that can occur after wisdom teeth removal is Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) where one experiences symptoms of vertigo and dizziness. This is discussed over on the wisdom teeth complications page at http://www.teethremoval.com/complications.html. I have a long running survey on this website where I ask people to share their experiences with wisdom teeth removal see http://teethremoval.polldaddy.com/s/6E8CF57E23BD9041. Some previous survey responses appear over at http://blog.teethremoval.com/successful-and-positive-wisdom-teeth-removal-experiences/, http://blog.teethremoval.com/wisdom-teeth-surgery-survey/, http://blog.teethremoval.com/wisdom-teeth-extraction-survey/, and http://blog.teethremoval.com/wisdom-teeth-survey/.

A few recent entries to my survey have discussed what seems to be getting BPPV after wisdom teeth removal.

A Canadian women who had wisdom teeth extracted at age 21 said:

“Diagnosed with BPPV 7 months after removal and chronic sinus infections that started 2 months after removal of wisdom teeth.”

An American man who had wisdom teeth extracted at age 30 said:

” I went to a dentist for the extraction of a tooth next to upper right wisdom tooth. Dentist suggested to take out wisdom tooth as well when I didn’t have a problem with it. I started having dizziness on the third day after surgery. I still have the dizziness. I asked my dentist about the problem I had who said it hasn’t anything to do with Wisdom teeth removal. I never had any dizziness or sinus problems in my life before that. I ended up visiting ENT doctor for my sinus problems I had post dental surgery. It’s been a recurring problem since then. I regret a lot thinking I should have researched about the wisdom tooth extraction before going for that.”

So based on research I have seen it appears that such symptoms as vertigo, dizziness, and even hearing loss can occur after wisdom teeth removal. It is possible indirect trauma during surgery can damage semicircular canals and dissolve otoliths leading to dizziness. It is further possible that extreme rotation of the cervical spine during surgery can lead to microemboli formulation which could lead to obstruction of the blood supply to the inner ear leading to hearing loss. Sinus infections are more well known complications that can occur after wisdom teeth removal. Perhaps a sinus infection can contribute to vertigo and dizziness but I have not seen this supported in literature so far that I have seen.

, , , , , ,

7 Responses to Vertigo and Dizziness After Wisdom Teeth Removal

1. Nasira Hamdani February 7, 2017 at 1:33 am #

i am having the same problem right now. i just got my wisdom tooth removed now its been 3 days after removing am having dizziness and my ear hurts but not that much. What can i do its scaring me? please help

2. Laura February 12, 2017 at 4:57 am #

Im from Holland and i have also this problem after wishdom removal. It hold on for 2 weeks now and it scares me. I cant ride and work and im feeling so tired all day. Sometimes i fell down from dizziness and cant longer stay. The dentist said to me that its not possible that this problem comes from the removal. I want my normal life back…

3. Jane March 4, 2017 at 2:12 am #

I had my upper right wisdom tooth removed two months ago and gave had vertigo and dizziness ever since. The nerves around the site were damaged and the gum area is still dead on one side. I have been very worried and am pleased to have found this post.

4. Maricela March 23, 2017 at 7:15 am #

I did not have wisdom teeth removed, I did have my 2 lower back molars removed and 7 days after, i feel discomfort in one ear, ringing, dizziness that comes and goes. I want my life back.

5. Nancy April 2, 2017 at 11:38 am #

I too have developed vertigo recently, five days after having a lower molar removed. The extraction was difficult. The dentist had a hard time removing the tooth. I had a significant amount of swelling on that side of the face and now the ear on that always feels kind of blocked. I am convinced that the vertigo is somehow related to the tooth extraction. I have had this before not related to any dental work so I have learned how to deal with it sort of. I am using a nasal decongestant twice a day to try to reduce or help with the ear canals and I try to figure out which way I move my head that sets off the dizziness, and then try not to move my head in that direction. Still , Any quick motions sets it off and some days I feel nauseous from it. It also creates headaches. And makes me want to keep my eyes closed all the time. This is my sixth day and I am really ready for it to be gone!

6. hilly balas April 6, 2017 at 8:25 pm #

you have benign positional vertigo., most likely they put a strain on your artery in your neck. actifed will help but learn not to press your neck too far to left or right, or make sudden moves. sleeping with a soft towel folded into 4ths helps.

7. Nimit Garg April 29, 2017 at 3:25 am #

The problems that occur after wisdom teeth removal is Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV), which could be noticed after regular check-up with dentist. So making visit to you dentist is the only solution for healthy oral health.