Wisdom Teeth Removal Leads to Coma

I was saddened to hear recently that a high school junior in Tonganoxie, Kansas, who recently went in to have his wisdom teeth removed, was seriously injured and left in a coma.  The oral surgeon who performed the surgery had just opened a new dental center. The cause for the injury is due to a faulty medical gas system which delivered oxygen and nitrous oxide.

My prayers and thoughts go out to the family of Austin Stone, his friends, and the community. Already, the community has organized ‘Team Tongie’ to help raise money for incidental expenses of those who suffer from medical emergencies and crisis.

To learn more visit the following links.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/apr/22/medical-gas-accident-may-lead-policy-change/

http://www.drbicuspid.com/index.aspx?sec=sup&sub=pmt&pag=dis&ItemID=301758&wf=34

http://www.kctv5.com/news/19223205/detail.html

, , , ,

15 Responses to Wisdom Teeth Removal Leads to Coma

  1. Dental Heroes May 3, 2009 at 7:50 pm #

    This is sad. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

  2. Lumineers May 7, 2009 at 1:55 am #

    This is a very sad story, albiet one that should serve as a reminder to those hunting for a dentist that extreme caution and patience should be taken.

    Lumineerss last blog post..Lumineers Cost Per Tooth

  3. Dental implants December 23, 2009 at 8:41 am #

    I’m Sory to hear that
    .-= Dental implants´s last blog ..The Problem With Dental Implants Just Might Be the Ridiculous Costs =-.

  4. Orthodontic December 23, 2009 at 8:43 am #

    Oh man…This is sad
    .-= Orthodontic´s last blog ..Need and Demand for Orthodontic Treatment ā€“ Oral Function =-.

  5. Dentist Thornhill December 24, 2009 at 6:53 am #

    This is most unfortunate. Dental equipment should always be inspected to avoid this scenario.
    .-= Dentist Thornhill´s last blog ..Thornhill Family Dentist Blog =-.

  6. Emergency dental January 5, 2010 at 2:56 pm #

    This is a very serious problem and all dentists should learn not to make this same mistake.
    .-= Emergency dental´s last blog ..EMERGENCY DENTAL CLINIC | Greater Toronto Area | Thornhill | Richmond Hill | Vaughan | North York =-.

  7. Childrens dentist January 5, 2010 at 2:58 pm #

    This is a horrible situation. A dentist must always warn a patient undergoing anesthesia that there is a chance of death.
    .-= Childrens dentist´s last blog .. =-.

  8. Air Techniques, Inc. June 22, 2010 at 8:16 pm #

    To Austin Stone, hoping for your recovery and that what happened to you will not happen to anyone anymore. This situation should have been avoided, if their dental equipment were inspected.

  9. airtechniques September 5, 2010 at 9:00 pm #

    This is really unfortunate. I hope for your soonest recovery. That is why dentists should only purchase dental equipments to trusted companies who sells inspected and the most safe equipments.

  10. Wendy Scott October 20, 2010 at 11:52 am #

    This is a truely awful thing to happen to the young man. I do wonder wether the proper checks were carried out on the equipment! If nothing else it highlights the need to be fastidious in ensuring that our equipment is 100% operational and not a danger to our patients! Very sad šŸ™

  11. Midtown Manhattan Dentist December 10, 2010 at 4:24 am #

    Oh, this is so sad!!! Iā€™m sorry to hear about that.

  12. London Dental Practice May 16, 2011 at 1:54 am #

    I think that these cases are rare, but at the same time the patient should be aware of the potential risks.

  13. chels December 9, 2011 at 12:03 pm #

    What happen was the dentist gave him too much laughing gas “nitrose” . So that’s the dentists fault, no one else’s.

  14. Tisha February 15, 2015 at 10:26 am #

    I feel so saddened for all these patients with this outcome from a wisdom extraction procedure! My heart goes out to all the families of the victims! My little sister Kristen is in a vegetative state now with no brain activity for almost a year now since her wisdom teeth extraction. She went into cardiac arrest and in a coma and was deprived of oxygen for over 15 minutes. Dont know why or where the dentist was at the time or if she was left there in the room by herself choking on her own blood while the dentist was doing god only knows but I still cant get over it… I can still remember the day before she went in to her dentist appointment… her smiles. her laughs…. We were swimming at the Sheraton Resort in Kailua Kona with our kids. Going down the slide having fun. Her face smiling all wet from the pool saying “I like stay overnight but I get dentist tomorrow to get my wisdoms teeth pulled” We live in Hilo and the hotel I rented was in Kona (an hour in a half drive). So beautiful and happy. Loved her 2 boys unconditionally. Fucken sad my heart and prayers go out to those who went through and feel what I feel!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Latest Dental News | TeethRemoval.com - May 26, 2009

    […] Austin Stone, who went into comatose on March 30 following the extraction of his wisdom teeth, helped his track team make it to state last year. Now he is currently rehabilitating and his track team is without him but can still feel his presence. SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title: “Latest Dental News”, url: “http://blog.teethremoval.com/latest-dental-news/” }); […]

Leave a Reply